Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday's with Mr. Milk - To Film or Not to Film?


Why do people film their wedding? I mean, it's not like you'll sit there and watch it over and over again is it? Chocolate Lover and I aren't too big on filming stuff to begin with, hence my questioning of the practice. We don't even buy DVD's or hold on to DVR recordings. I think that once you watch a movie that's it! If you are desperate to watch it again I'm sure it can be found somewhere so what's the point of spending money on collectibles? Then again, I wouldn't mind having a copy of the Shawshank Redemption, so from that point of view if something is important enough or you like it that much, then it's worth having.

So for our wedding, although we are not going nuts on videography (we focussed more of our resources on photography), we will still hire a videographer to capture the raw footage of everything that went on. Then the thought is to have friends and family film their own vingettes using digital cameras and collect all of that footage onto iMovie on a Mac so that we can create a good, but FREE, 5 minute highlight video. We'll be asking the videographer to setup an additional camera on a tripod filming us from the "viewer's" angle so that our guests sitting outside the small church of Aphrodite Hills can watch what's going on inside the church through either two LCD screens mounted on the wall of the church or on a projector screen. We haven't figured out all the details yet...

At the end of the day, your wedding day is important enough that you don't want to regret not having done something after the fact. And with that premise in mind, we will be recording it live from Aphrodite Hills on September 25, 2010.

Until next Friday, this is Mr. Milk signing off.

P.S. Why do we still say "film" when everything nowadays is digital? I guess will be "diggin" our wedding day :o)

13 fabulous blogger's comments:

Stacy Marie said...

The 5 minute highlight sounds like a great plan, hopefully we can do the same! We aren't the type to watch an hour long montage either.

Jean said...

That sounds like a good idea! We're not too big on the full wedding video production bit, but I like this. Might be something worth looking into :D

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

If you check out my post from today (along with the previous post linked within it), you'll find my thoughts and comments on why it's important to capture your big day on video. I also have some samples of the professional videographer's footaget that I then edited into a montage wedding video for my sister.

Ultimately, as you said, you don't want to regret not doing it after the fact. I find that the men are usually not as keen on it as the women (we are more sentimental and are likely to watch it as often as possible - heck, one girlfriend will pull out her wedding DVD and force anyone who walks through her front door to watch with her).

But it does capture an element of the day that photography simply cannot. And for me, that is the fun stuff...the laughing, joking, tears streaming down your face, the toasts that you'll never hear again through a photo (My sister's best man's toast was amazing at their wedding).

Btw, some videographers do still actually 'film' if that is the style you are looking for. It is usually super duper expensive nowadays for the feel that it provides. :)

I think your idea sounds good...at the very minimum, you'll have all the raw footage just to browse through.

Paula said...

I think creating something from the footage you get, on your own, is a lovely idea. Often times the photographer or videographer doesn't know all of the important people at the event. Or they don't know that some of the tiniest details are really the most important to you on your day. If the two of you spend time putting together the video, it makes it that much more special.

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Have a great weekend!

love said...

Sherrlyn of http://www.BorkgrenPhoto.net says...You found the perfect blog name for a lady! As a photographer I'm happy that you are planning your visuals with such care and thought. It's actually refreshing as so many young couples just don't get that these are the things that are going to stick with you-- besides the husband and rings!
If you need any advice I'm happy to help (you don't need to hire me for advice)!

MsTypo said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!!

I wish we had a video of our wedding. We felt the same way so didn't spend money on a videographer and now totally regret it. Even my parents have a video of their wedding over 40 years ago. It's just nice to remember exactly how those moments went down.

jennie.newland said...

That is a great idea, to have all the diffrent point of views! I think its good to record because you can show your kids, and grandkids one day. Hope everything goes well for you two!

Dropping by from SITS hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Amber said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I agree with you about the wedding video, we've been married for almost two years and I have never once watched our video. Hope you'll keep stopping by :)

M said...

I think we film it not so much for ourselves, but for our loved ones. My grandparents were not able to make our wedding due to their age, and the distance they would have to travel, so having a video was a great optiong to send them.

Good luck with your planning Sitsa!!

xoxoKrysten said...

We had someone tape ours because my grandma couldn't attend - but aside from watching it the day after the wedding I haven't looked at it again. I do, however, love looking at our pictures. A lot, lol.

Courtney @ One Fine Wire said...

Hey girl, I'm digging your blog! We actually didn't video tape our wedding, and spent most of our time on quality photography! I hope your wedding is perfect!

Just stopping by from SITS :)

My personal blog:
www.finewire.blogspot.com

If you are ever interested in a new blog design, I would love to work with you!
www.onefineblogdesign.blogspot.com

The Nomadic Gourmet said...

Yeah it's kinda crazy that we still say film lol

Kristy said...

I was all but ready to forget about video until i went to one of my best friends weddings a few weeks ago. The night ended with all of the friends/guests dancing in an impromptu circle around the bride and groom - probably sounds cheesy but there was something so magical about it and so full of love and joy - literally surrounding the couple, and my first thought was, "this is a magical moment thank god she is getting it all on tape"