Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday's With Mr. Milk - Designing Invitations

We've finally managed to get a working copy of Adobe Creative Suite 4 on my Mac. It took a while due to some ridiculous error claiming that the software could not be licensed on my computer. Anyways, that's a different story. Chocolate Lover and I felt that the most efficient way of printing our invites would be by designing them ourselves (since I know how to use desktop publishing software) and by using a printing company that I hire quite frequently at work.

Now we are in colour heaven, or hell, depending on how you look at things. For those who don't know much about colours, what you see is NOT what you get, as CL quickly realized. just because you think you found the perfect teal on the screen it doesn't mean that when it's printed it'll look exactly like that. After a quick colour 101 with CL, we are now looking at the proper Pantone colours, coated or uncoated depending on the printing surface, and the right CMYK readings so that our invites look as good on paper as they do on screen. The only thing we are left battling now is the Greek letter for 'P', otherwise known as the numeric 3.14 or 'pi', which is my initial. We want to use that for the Greek invites but unfortunately the script we have for our monogram does not come in Greek.

I'll update you on the developments in a later post. For now, I need to get back to creating my own font so that I can print my name in it's proper Greek spelling rather than have our Greek guests think that my name starts with an 'R' (the Greek letter for what looks like the English 'P'). Or maybe I should really change my name to Mr. Milk....

Until next Friday, this is Mr. Milk signing off.

17 fabulous blogger's comments:

Stacy Marie said...

That's not fun that you're running into so many issues...I can't wait to see how the invitations turn out!

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

OMG! Iknow EXACTLY what you mean. I experienced the same issues using Adobe Illustrator when creating my Save the Dates. The computer colors are nothing like what gets printed out. Not only that, but I printed the samples on two different printers and each printer came out with something totally different from the other. So it's important to do test runs of your color. I am not nearly as experienced with those design programs as you are (my sister actually created them and I just played around with them)...but I had to just keep changing the CMYK numbers or whatever and printing and then change again until I got a print version that held up well against my linen swatches for the wedding colors. It was a hassle, but once you nail the color on the right printer, you can remember those settings for any future wedding related print jobs :)

I am having our invites custom designed and will have to go through this with the woman creating them once we are done with the design process and ready to test the print colors :(

Emma @ Outmumbered said...

How stressful!!

Happy Saturday Sharefest!!

Unknown said...

Just stopping by from SITS. Fantastic blog! Oh, and I feel you on the colour issue....I went with Diamond White and Black just to be safe and easy :) Happy Weekend!

Millennium Housewife said...

Crikey you're organised! Teal? Colours? You have my admiration girl! I think I just went with the cheapest!

Anonymous said...

I admire anyone who can commit to doing so much of their own wedding preparations. Hope your invites turn out exactly how you want them to!

:::visiting from SITS:::

Unknown said...

Wow. You are impressive. Different shades of teal? Hmmmmmm. I would just pick whatever looked best on the screen and then call it a day! I admire your search for the perfect color though. Good luck in your search!

. said...

Just stopping by from SITS to give you support. :) Have a great week.

MsTypo said...

So sorry to hear you're running into problems. I was thinking of getting this software when i order my new mac in January.

Kimberly said...

Did you have problems because of the new OS? I had to reenter all my older software after I updated to Snow L.

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

I can't wait to see how the invitations turned out!

Quiskaeya said...

Hi! Stop by from SITS! Anyone with Chocolate in their blog name has got my vote! lol

Sorry that you are having all the issues with Adobe Illustrator. I do hope the invitation turn out. What an exciting time for you. Best wishes for your special day :)

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

Hi there! Stopped by via the SITS featured blogger. I pray all goes well with the invitations and the rest of your wedding plans.

Welcome said...

Looking forward to you invitations! Good look with the rest of the planning xxx

Design It Chic said...

i can't wait to see your invitations! i bet they will look incredible... and is this method of creating them yourself cheaper? or you just want them personalized in a very specific manner? anyway i bet they will look fabulous!

Happy Tuesday!

* if you're in for some random, just drop by:)

Mommy of Many said...

Sounds like so much fun, I guess well maybe aspects of it are so much fun. I'm sure with much time and headache you will find that perfect color of teal.
dropping by from Sits.

Jatin Sethi said...

happy chocolate day images hd