Thursday, October 1, 2009

Traditional Wedding Favors

In Cyprus there is a traditional wedding favor known as lokoumia or kourambiedes, aka Mexican Wedding Cookies and Russian Tea Cakes! Who knew! This little cookie transcends borders, cultures, traditions! The only problem? We don't like them :) 


A quick google search revealed that these little gems were reserved for special occasions, such as weddings, because at the time, the ingredients were expensive - butter, sugar, nuts. Also, the nuts were supposed to represent the fertility while the sugar symbolizes the sweet life journey the couple are embarking on.   







While these are the most commonly given favor in Cyprus, and to some extent, the expected favor, most people don't eat them. There have been many a time that both our parents fridges have had 5-6 on these babies just sitting there. No one wants to eat them. Especially if it's into wedding season and they've had a few already. My mom places them between jars on the fridge door so that the jars don't move and fall out! Ironically, when discussing this with our parents, both were in favor of having these favors (!) while admitting that they don't eat them either! This was very amusing for Mr. Milk and I. 


So we want to have something that is more representative of us. We do want to stick to something edible as we feel that many favors are tossed aside or guests don't have much use for them. What our favors will be is still to be determined. Thoughts include american-style chocolate chip cookies symbolizing my love for chocolate and my time spent in the USofA, or the very Canadian maple syrup representing Mr. Milk's time in Canada. We shall see...


What are you thinking about for wedding favors, if anything at all?

5 fabulous blogger's comments:

Angela said...

i would giveaway macarons since it's one of my fav sweets. : ) btw, thanks for the lovely shoutsout about my diamond giveaway.

Anonymous said...

I personally like lokoumia but if you don't (and that's the important thing!)...I think a sort of mix of 2 (or 3 types) of cookies- randomly distributed- and representative of you and Mr. Milk- is interesting. I like the 2 idea concept- maple cookie, chocolate cookie of some sort....and if you want to satisfy tradition/family, you could have a third type- (lokoumia). Then everyone would be interested to see what type of favor they got. It could even be a conversation point if they hadn't had maple or chocolote (chip) cookies- or not often....Really like the idea that it's representative of the two of you- and a nod to US/Canada....

Vera D. said...

Hi there! Thanks for the words of encouragement on my health goal! By the way, these cookies look like a great way to keep the sweet treats without too much fat!! Cheers! Vera @ My $10,000 Wedding

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Wow, that's really interesting. I find it very amusing that they aren't often eaten...Sentimentality, I guess? =) I'm not really getting married soon, but I think chocolate covered coffee beans would do well with my planned centerpieces--pink daisies and coffee beans. Makes sense, huh?

Just wanted to stop by and say a big THANKS for your comments and for following me at {This Time Around}. It really does mean soo much to me. =)

lynn said...

agreed - edible treats will NOT be tossed! something for a breakfast treat the next day?!

stopping by from SITS!