Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Warm Mocha Tart

This past Wednesday, I decided to have a "me" day. I indulged in activities that I enjoy and generally had a girly day. One of the things I did was bake. Using chocolate of course! So I thought I'd share my creation with you. I found the recipe in the book Bittersweet by Alice Medrich. It was given to me as a gift by my chocoholic friend and I love it. There are some amazing recipes in it. This recipe asks for a 91/2 inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. 

It is worth investing in one of these (can find one for $10-15) if you plan on making this often as it makes it easy to remove the tart once its baked. Otherwise just make it in whatever round pan you have. The first piece will probably be difficult to remove but you should be ok after that. So lets begin:

Ingredients for the crust:

8tbs (1 stick) unsalted, melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour

Ingredients for the filling:

3 tbs unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup heavy cream
11/4 tsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350oF

Mix the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl to make the crust. Add the flour and mix till well blended. The dough may seem too soft but this is fine. Press it evenly and thinly onto the bottom and sides of the pan



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown



In the meantime start to make the filling. Place the butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the mixture is blended, smooth and begins to simmer around the edges. Remove from heat and stir in the instant espresso or coffee powder and vanilla. 



Just before the crust is ready, whisk the egg thoroughly into the hot choclate mixture. Pour the filling into the hot crust.



Place the pan into the over and turn the oven off (yes, off). Leave the tart in the over till it quivers like Jell-O. The recipe says this will take 10 to 12 minutes but I've found that it needs more like 20 minutes. 



Let cool on a rack and serve at room temperature. 



Yummmm




The coffee flavor is pretty mild in this tart so its great for those who don't particularly like coffee. Enjoy!

21 fabulous blogger's comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That sounds incredible! I just love a chocolate and coffee pairing. : )

Katerina said...

I love to bake too - this sounds really yummy!

Sara said...

I don't bake, but that is absolutely gorgeous.

Go about your business.

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

OH MY GOODNESS! That looks divine! I will definitely be writing that recipe down. Thanks so much!

I'd love it if you could join us for Wednesdays for Wyatt. This family really needs our help. You can win a prize, too!

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/2009/10/wednesdays-for-wyatt-many-of-you-read.html

Thanks so much!

Teresa <><

Cocktails & Cashmere said...

I think I need to take a day just for myself and bake something lovely too! :) Looks fabulous!

Jocelyn said...

This sounds and looks fabulous!!! Of course how can you go wrong with choc and coffee:-) I will have to try this.

Sherri said...

Wow..does that look yummy:) The perfect thing for me to make this rainy weekend:) Thanks for sharing.

Stopping by from SITS.

Sarah said...

I got my dress today :) Isn't it funny that I have my dress before the ring? I guess I better stop eating this pizza now so I fit INTO IT!!

Melinda said...

Oh my, that looks sinful!! I'm afraid I'd be far better at eating it than making it!

Thanks for visiting my blog, fellow SITS sister! ;0)

Nicole said...

Awesome! Looks scrumptious! =D Thanks for sharing.

Angela said...

i am so making this for BF.

Frankie and Bella said...

Hi from SITS

Wow....I love your blog...god I drooled on my keyboard when I saw your pictures.. YUm!!!

Bossome Sue said...

Oh.My.God. That looks positively sinful! I must have some. :)

Lauren said...

That looks SO good. I could eat it right now. I think I have everything (including the tart pan, cause I bake like a fiend lol) so that might be tomorrow's afternoon project. :D

Design It Chic said...

this mocha tart looks yumm!!! I'd just need a tart pan with removable bottom:P darn it!!

Oh and I'm having my first giveaway! if you're interested, just stop by :)

Happy Thursday!

Helen McGinn said...

This looks soooooooooo gorgeous. I am so going to try it! Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

is 6:00 AM too early for dessert?!

Lisa Anne said...

The kitty picture in the post below just cracks me up when i see it. LOL anyway, I wish I could take a ME day. I'm so busy. This looks delicious and I really want to make it. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend.

Anonymous said...

So, I LOVE this recipe....and as your chocoholic friend who gave you the cookbook, I KNOW how good it is...Only comment I have is in case others run into this when making the tart- and it seems like this has not been a problem for you.... When I make the crust with the melted butter, I NEVER get the crust to go up as far along the sides. And when it bakes it slides down quite a bit (from the sides). My guess is that it's too liquidy....hmmm. Did you run into this ever? I have EVERY time I've made it (and it's been many). Maybe crusts are just my Achilles heel... or at least one of them....-:)

Mrs L said...

YUM!!! Was it good? I'll need to try this!

love lives in the kitchen said...

yummy! i wan't some!