Monday, March 8, 2010

Recaps of Everyday Life - Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver

This has taken me longer than I would have wanted, but better late than never, right!? Mr. Milk and I had an awesome time at the Alpine Skiing Slalom event and we really lucked out with the weather too. Although it was cold, we were well equipped (thanks to some very nice friends!), and it didn't rain like it had the previous day. There was some snow in the first part of the day, but this just added to the atmosphere!

So now for the fun par! Pictures!!!

One of the athletes coming down the mountain 

The crowd in the seated section of the spectators. We were in the sitting section cause the tickets were cheaper!

If you click to enlarge the picture you can see the Swiss horn better. He was all dressed up in traditional clothing too!

Mr. Milk with our friend Yangos holding up the Greek and Cypriot flags

Us with the skiers from Cyprus. They were really sweet and we hung out and chatted for a while.

Another view of the slopes

So you may have heard about the infamous Snow-Leopard from Ghana. He is the first skier from the snow-less country and only started skiing about 5 years ago. There was a lot of publicity about him in Vancouver and the crowed went nuts for him during both runs!

Here's a close-up of him. He kept getting stopped for people to take pics with him! Including the other athletes!

The Gold Medal Winner from Italy!

The Italians in the crowd went nuts after he won :)


Here is a video of a Canadian skier (sorry forgot his name) but you can see the reaction and encouragement from the crowd, which obviously consisted mostly of Canadians. Sorry about the camera turning! In my rush to get this recorded I got the angle of the camera wrong initially! :)

The most impressive thing was how much Olympic spirit there was! The crowd cheered every athlete on, especially when they missed a gate or fell, but went on to continue and finish their run! There was a lot of fog during the morning run making the skiing conditions tough for the athletes, and a lot of them ended up missing the gates and not finishing the run. 

We are actually looking forward to going to some Paralympic events, so will keep you posted if we do! 

12 fabulous blogger's comments:

Caro said...

It must have been great to be there!

Heather said...

It looks like lots of fun! :)

Kim said...

How exciting! I'm not a sports kinda gal, but I LOVE the Olympics.

buhdoop said...

I can feel the energy from your video. That is so cool! And I see you got those super cute Olympic gloves :)

Salt said...

You guys are SO. LUCKY. I would have given my arm to go to an Olympic event!!! (Well not really, but I certainly would have shelled out a lot of money to be there!) That is so exciting!

Simply Colette said...

What fun! I'm so jealous. I took my first ski lesson while the Olympics were going on, so in a way I felt like an Olympian. Uh.. Maybe not. :)

Ams said...

Ohhhh that looks SO fun!!

Mrs T said...

It must have been so thrilling to be there. Thanks for sharing.

Katie said...

so jealous! Id love to watch some events!

little luxury list said...

So cool!

E said...

Oh man, how exciting that you were there! I loved watching :)

penga said...

it's pretty cool you got to be a part of olympic history! I wish I could have gone :)

btw, I tried to email you a little something a few days ago to your blog-email(?)..i don't know if you got it or not though..