Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The BIG Announcement

As some of you may remember, I pulled a sneaky move in this post and told you I had a big announcement, but left you hanging a little. Well, its time to reveal all.

Mr. Milk and I are moving! We are so excited about this as it has been a work-in-progress for some time. Where are we moving to you might ask? Right here:


Yup! Thats right! We are moving back home!

We have been talking about this for many many months and although it was tough coming to the decision, we both feel a lot of relief now that its been made. We will both miss North America greatly (me mostly the US and Mr. Milk Canada) but we are just too far away from our friends and family over here. If you recall the family health issues we had over the Christmas holidays, well those pushed us further towards this decision. 

But lets start from the beginning. Back in September, Mr. Milk was faced with a job opportunity that he wasn't quite expecting. Accepting it would mean that we would be spending the next 3-5 years in Canada for sure. While the job offer was enticing, there were other issues. I for one am a visitor here, hence can't work. It would take at least a year for me to become a permanent resident and be allowed to work. I was already feeling restless at home as it was. And then there was the question, if we stay now, will we ever go back to Cyprus? It's hard enough to leave now, neither of us could imagine how much harder it would be if we had established careers and potentially kids. 

Luckily Mr. Milk had a lot of time to think about this and while we were in Cyprus over Christmas, he started looking into potential job opportunities there. While the economic crisis is starting to improve over here, there it's probably at its worst at the moment. But it seems like we are truly blessed because a few weeks ago he was offered a job at a company he was interested in and he has accepted! All the T's have been crossed and the I's dotted! We are both very grateful that at least one of us will have an income going back. I have applied for a position at a college/university there, so fingers crossed that it goes well!

So when is the big day? May 29th 2010 will be our departure date from Vancouver. Not a lot of time!

In the meantime there is sooooooo much to do! We need to sell off all of our furniture, purchase some things that are cheaper to get from here (hence the upcoming Portland shopping spree), pack the things we are taking, get rid of the things we are not, get quotes from freight companies, and so on and so forth! Aargh! 

I am sure my blog will come to reflect the chaos that will be my life in the next couple of months, so please bare with me ladies! 

35 fabulous blogger's comments:

Shannon said...

That's so exciting! Congrats on the big move sounds like it's a great opportunity for you both.

GM said...

Wow!! Such exciting news! I'm happy that everything worked out and Mr. Milk was able to find a job. :o)

Jillreigh said...

how exciting! good luck with everything that goes with such a big move! I'm sure you're both excited to be reunited with family and friends.

Heather said...

Congrats and good luck!!

Alicia said...

How exciting!! It will be good to be home!

Heather said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Gaynor {Our Day by Design} said...

Congratulations, hope it will be fantastic for you both!

penga said...

that IS a big move! how exciting for you! I'm sure your families will be happy to have you back home! :)and good luck on the job hunt!

Brittany said...

WOW, this is HUGE! I'm sure you are so excited to move back home and be closer with friends and family. I honesty can't imagine living so far away from my mom! haha

Brittany said...

WOW, this is HUGE! I'm sure you are so excited to move back home and be closer with friends and family. I honesty can't imagine living so far away from my mom! haha

buhdoop said...

That is wonderful news! Wonderful. I am happy that you guys are happy. There is no place like home, seriously.

Em said...

YAY!! Congratulations!! That is so exciting :)

As some one who is also in the process of moving (only a few states over, though) I can tell you this: it will be stressful. You will cry. You will probably have at least one nervous breakdown. But, and this is a big but, it will be SO worth it. It's obvious that Cyprus is the place that makes you happiest. I'm glad to hear you and Mr. Milk are going for it. If you need support/a venting partner/an ear to listen, feel free to contact me via my blog or Twitter (@Em219).

Congrats, again!!

Amy said...

Congratulations! I hope it's as close to stress-free and enjoyable as moving can be. So happy to hear you guys are returning home! :)

A Los Angeles Love said...

Congratulations! I know you've been mentioning this for a while now, so I'm thrilled for you both to be moving *home*.

Katie said...

How great for you!!!! So very exciting! I am sure you feel a ton of relief now that the decision is made!!! Great news! Keep up all posted! Hope you can keep in touch w/ us from Cyprus! :)

Kristy said...

So exciting - i'm very happy to hear everything worked out so well for you guys, seems the new marraige will be starting on a very high note! There is nothing like moving home, but from our experience that doesn't mean it isnt a mixed bag - look forward to going through the journey (and shopping!) with you! xoxo

Kim said...

Awww yay! This is such exciting news. Can't wait to follow you on your new adventures!

Aubrey said...

It can be so hard to be far away from family because they are so important. It's great that you will be closer. I'm really happy for you both!

Patience said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you and Mr. Milk.

FRANNIE said...

How exciting for you! :) I loathe the pack and ship portion of moving.

I always invoke the 10 second rule...If I can't remember in 10 seconds why I've kept a particular item - out it goes. No sense packing 'stuff' you don't need.

Good Luck!

Simply Colette said...

Oh my! How exciting... that should be such an adventure... can't wait to follow you through the move and getting settled! xoxo

chelsea said...

Oh dear goodness how incredibly exciting!!!!!! That will be such a fun adventure for the 2 of you.

Ali said...

How exciting! Congrats!!!

Stacy Marie said...

I'm glad you guys made a decision that's going to make you happy, yay for you all and happy moving!

Giovanna said...

omg, that's so exciting!!!! ps. you're leaving on my wedding day!
good luck, and i wish you all the best. can't wait to read all about the move, and hopefully, you'll still post when you're back home.

Spare Thoughts said...

Brilliant news - so exciting looking forward to hearing all the news.

little luxury list said...

Congratulations dear, that is totally huge! The main thing is that you seem happy about the move. Does this mean I can come visit you in Cyprus? ;)

dognbird said...

Congrats on the move, a fresh start for spring - perfect!!

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

Oh my goodness that is huge! How exciting though. You have lots to do I am sure but how cool to have your lives established back there before the wedding and all that jazz. Smart to try to get it done with a little bit of leeway before the business of the big day arrives.

What a super great announement. Congrats to you both!

JEM - Aqua Bride said...

Congratulations big time. I'm so happy for you guys.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Congrats, gosh I want to go there!

Katie said...

How exciting! congrats!! I think that is a great decision, and even better knowing that you can go back home and have job security for Mr. Milk!

Congrats again to the both of you!!

And good luck with the college job! :)

Mrs T said...

That is HUGE! I am happy for you guys that it has all worked out. Best of luck with all the chaotic things you now have to do!!

Sounds like it was meant to be.

JazzWhispers said...

How exciting! That's super awesome for you guys! I'll miss hearing about Vancouver, but look forward to some Cyprus details! Have fun packing, I hate moving even from city to city so I can't imagine a move so big!

Salt said...

OH MY GOODNESS! How could I have missed this!? Wow I am so excited for you guys. :) It definitely sounds like the best thing for the both of you and I can't wait to hear all the stories about the big move!