Monday, March 15, 2010

Getting Fit

I have always been one of those people who needs someone else to motivate them to go to the gym. I just get so bored in a gym, so if I have someone to go with it becomes more of a social affair and I enjoy it more. I enjoy outdoor activities but once winter comes around, they are less than appealing! 


We are lucky to have a small gym on our floor in our building. It's nothing fancy but has all the basics, a treadmill, stationary bike, pilates balls, free weights, and one of those combo weight machines which I never use. So we have no excuse for not going. Mr. Milk and I both want to use the wedding as the excuse to get us leading a healthier lifestyle. Of course we both want to look great on our wedding day, but we also lead pretty sedentary lifestyles which are only made worse in the winter.


I'd seen a few of you bloggers recommending Sue Flemings book Buff Brides so I thought I'd give it a go too. I work better when I have a routine to follow at the gym and that's exactly what her book offers.



There are two programs to follow, a 24-week one and a 12-week one for the bride in a hurry. I am on week 6 and let me tell you I have noticed a difference. My goal was to tighten and tone up,  be more heart healthy, and have my clothes fit better. I haven't lost weight but I am definitely tightening up. I see the muscles in my arms developing, my legs are stronger, and I feel better. And because I am seeing results, I am encouraged to go back and workout. Going with Mr. Milk makes it fun too. We tease each other, have friendly competitions, and whine at each other to get our butts of the couch and into the gym!

So what do you ladies do to stay healthy? Do you have trouble getting motivated to work out?

17 fabulous blogger's comments:

Salt said...

I want to buy that book and I'm not even trying to get wedding ready anymore!

I have never really had too much of a problem staying motivated. My gym membership is kind of expensive so I want to make the most use out of it as I can. Plus I love going to my hot yoga classes (that aren't at the gym) so that is more fun than a workout. I wish I could get M to come to the gym with me though. Our schedules are just too different.

Heather said...

Way to go! I also get really bored working out in the gym, so I love it when spring finally rolls around and I can hit the pavement outdoors again. I met Sue at the Weddzilla Launch Party last month, and she is just amazing!

Kristy said...

i am totally procrastinating getting my butt in gear - i will have to pick up the book and see if i can use it to motivate me - thanks for the tip!

Katie said...

I swim laps, and the only thing that makes me go is the guilt that I am paying for the gym membership! haha

jes [a mountain bride] said...

i've been a workout geek for years...and these last few months of grad school have me running in circles, but no spare minutes in my day to work out :-( I've gained 6 pounds in a the past couple weeks and I'm pretty bummed about it.

maybe i'll check this book out and see if i can get some inspiration out of it.

Kim said...

Ugh - I have trouble staying motivated as well. I've heard great things about Buff Brides, and just check out A. Marigold's awesome results. My fiance was blessed with a fantastic metabolism so there's no hope of him going to the gym with me. We do love swimming, though, so now that we've moved in together, maybe I can convince him to swim at my pool.

JEM - Aqua Bride said...

I ordered the "slim in 6" series and I love it. It's made such a difference, i've lost 10lbs and feel tighter and leaner than i've felt in forever. Way to go girl!

Mrs T said...

I would love to be more toned. I think having a 'gym buddy' makes all the difference. I am bad at finding the motivation.

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

Oh how I wish I was able to work out...time has been flying by with all that has gone. Exercise should so be a priority with me right now but with all the 'physical labor' I've been involved with on the house and packing, lifting and unpacking boxes, I am definitely not in the mood to work out. And I need it now more than ever. It works both ways...most brides want to lose weight, I on the other hand am trying to GAIN weight...or at this point, just NOT lose weight! All the stress and running around is taking it's toll on my body. Not a good time to be dealing with that. I think I'll vent about this in a post :) So glad you are committed and disciplined and enjoying it...such a good thing to focus on.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

ugh, the gym...it's sucks. I honestly go now more to get the kids out of the house and have a pseudo playdate at the gym daycare and have an hour or so when nobody is tugging at me. Oh wow, that's sad. :)


Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

dognbird said...

I'm so behind on this I haven't even heard of Sue Flemings/Buff Brides (thank u for the tip btw), so yeah, have a little trouble getting motivated haha!

Giovanna said...

i am the worst at motivating myself. ugh. and what's worse, my erratic work schedule makes it nearly impossible to get to my yoga studio. i promised myself i'd try though, so i'm hoping to get to a class tonight.

Jenn said...

Bravo for you and your quest to stay healthy! I myself am a big fan of Body By Glamour. They have a great, free program that is easy to do without a gym. Weddings are such good inspiration to actually work out.

buhdoop said...

The weather is a big factor in my motivation to work out. It has been way too cold to work out lately. But now it is warming up.

penga said...

now that it's warming up, i should get back on the workout wagon!

btw - i think my email didn't work AGAIN. but you can check the lineart post ;) (and let me know if you want it colored, blog friend! ^_^)

Melissa said...

i'm ashamed to say that I have not worked out once this year, but last year I kept active by taking a step and yoga class and running 3 miles 4 times a week. I think life got the best of me this year, but I'm hoping to pick up the pace before summer starts =)

Discovery Street said...

I could not get motivated...fortunately, I couldnt eat the last two days before the wedding because I was so nervous and excited...and I lost a few pounds! (I´ve definately put them back on after the wedding however!)