Thursday, November 5, 2009

Home Made Apple Pie - Greek Style

I love apples. And they are everywhere this time of year. We were in our little groccery store the other day and there were a ton of locally grown apples. So I got some to make my favorite apple pie. Its a simple recipe but a little labor intensive in assembly. And since Mr. Milk has been away on business, I figured it would be nice for him to come home to some yummy baked goods! So here it goes.

Ingredients:

5-6 medium apples (I picked fuji cause they are my fav)
1 cup sugar plus 2 tbsp
2 tsp ground cinammon
1 cup vegetable oil (I use corn oil)
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 eggs
lots of flour! (around 6 cups I would say but have more)

Process:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees


Peel the apples. Take a box grater and use the large grating surface to grate the apples.


Grate as close to the cores as possible


Sprinkle apples with 1.5 tsps sugar and 1 tsp cinammon and stir. Set aside.


In a seperate bowl mix together 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs, baking powder, vanilla, vegetable oil.


Start to add the flour. The goal is to get a consistency that is thicker than regular cake batter. You want it to pull away from the sides as you mix it.


Pour 3/4 of the batter into the baking dish


Continue to add flour to the remaining batter until it turns into a ball of dough (like pizza dough)



Pour the apple mixture over the cake batter layer. The apples will probably have released some liquid so try to avoid adding that.


Take the box grater and using the largest grating surface again, grate the ball of dough over the apple mixture.


Sprinkle with remaining sugar and cinammon and bake for about one hour.



And Enjoy!

21 fabulous blogger's comments:

Jocelyn said...

ok, i need to go buy apples because this looks yummy!!!

Stacy Marie said...

You're making me hungry!

Is the dough tough to grate? That seems like the only "scary" part! I might try to make a healthy version of this for when Ryan comes down next weekend! (If he knew it had a cup of oil in and egg yolks, he would stroke out...what can I say, he's a health freak!)

Thank you for sharing this, it looks so yummy!

Kim said...

Wow, that looks so good! I love baking too, and using seasonal, local ingredients.

Morgan said...

Mmmmm! Ok, officially hungry now!

Cocktails & Cashmere said...

Looks good!

I'm having a fuji apple for a work snack this afternoon! :)

buhdoop said...

Yummy! I need to go to the grocery store.

Lauren said...

we have a TON of apples right now, this looks like a great way to use them up! Thanks!

Mariposa said...

Yum! I am going to have to try this sometime!

Melissa said...

That looks delicious! I can almost smell it... The madeleines were so easy to make and so tasty too! They disappeared fast. I really recommend investing in a madeleine pan, it's worth it !!

Gabrielle said...

OMGoodness does that ever look fantastic! I love it! I'm making it this weekend for a potluck thank you!

Design It Chic said...

mmmmmmmm... apple pie... i am so hungry.. darn this not-being-able-to-eat thing!!!
I'm so trying this as soon as i will be able to eat solid food again:)

Happy Friday!

Jessica Nunemaker said...

OH that DOES look yummy!

Nothing smells better than baking apples -- Fuji are my faves, too. ;)

-- found you through SITS.

Angela said...

oh yummy! I love to have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with this delicious apple pie. : ) xo

Mireya said...

Oooh, I never thought of having it with grated apple! Definitely going to be trying this one!!

Simply Colette said...

Wow! Looks so yummy! :)

Julia said...

this looks fantabulous. one of my friends made apple crisp for their dessert instead of a wedding cake with her fiance for their wedding!

Delectable Dining said...

Yum! This looks wonderful!

NuFlaiir - Planning a Destination Wedding said...

Looks so delicious !!!!
I need to try that one sometime.

**I left an award for you over my blog. Hope you enjoy it.

~lilian~

little luxury list said...

Hi, I think I found you through my new blogger buddy Stacey/Born to be Mrs. Beever. Love your name and will be following your adventures.

Fuji apples, cinnamon, flour - perfect for fall! I just posted the pumpkin cookies I made for our wedding - love fall flavors!

Karen said...

Found you via Weddzilla where I'm a Bridal Blogger too! I {heart} apples and this recipe sounds super easy and super delish, thanks for posting.

Jean said...

That looks so delicious. Now I'm hungry, lol.