We were in a nice grocery store the other day and I found a package of mixed mushrooms. I love mushrooms! There were oyster mushrooms, chanterelles, shiitakes, enoki mushrooms, criminis, and I had some button mushroom at home too. This inspired me to make a mushroom scramble over the weekend. And what makes mushrooms better? Truffle salt! Granted if one could afford the ridiculously expensive truffles themselves they would probably taste amazing, but alas truffle salt is already a luxury in and of itself. I also got a beautiful heirloom tomato and figured I could incorporate it somehow. So without further ado, here is my creation:
Aren't those mushrooms and the tomato gorgeous!
Sauteed mushrooms and onions...yum!
Heirloom tomato, arugula, spinach salad.
The end result! What a way to start your morning - or noon-time :)
Here is the recipe for 2 people:
- 1.5 cups mixed greens of your choice
- 1 medium sized heirloom tomato
- 2 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, any kind you like (they wilt down quite a bit)
- Half a small onion diced
- 3-4 eggs
- A handful of your favorite grated cheese. I used mozzarella
- Truffle salt
- Olive oil (both for cooking and the salad)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat toast
2. When they start to brown up a little add the onion.
3. As these cook, prepare your salad. Dice the tomato, place over the mixed greens, add salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Mix it all together and set aside till ready to serve.
4. Beat the eggs in a seperate bowl. I always like to add a splash of milk too.
5. Pour over the cooked mushrooms and cook to the consistency you like. Add the cheese close to the end.
6. Sprinkle with some truffle salt and pepper if desired.
7. Make yourself a slice of toast (or two), serve up and enjoy.